The findings of the excavations are on display here, articles of art and everyday life, from the pre-historical era up to the early Byzantine years (4th millenium BC – 6th century AC). The museum is housed at the old Commercial School building (build at the 17th century), inside the Castle district.
Under the Metropolis Sq, excavations revealed part of the Mycenaean capital of Naxos (1300 BC). The site has been appropriately conformed and is now open to public.
Built on the “Palatia” islet, at the northmost end of the port, Portara is the colossal and majestic gate of a temple devoted to god Apollo. Built on the 6th century BC, under the reign of tyrant Lygdamis, when Naxos was a major nautical, commercial and cultural center.
An impressive monument that derives from the long venetian domination (1204 – 1537). It is located at the hill that forms the town’s natural acropolis.
At Flerio, near Melanes village, in a green valley, lies a Kouros, an unfinished statue of a man, in the exact position that it was abandoned by the ancient sculptors. The statue has a supernatural size (6,4 meters) and was sculptured at the 7th century BC.
At a close proximity to the Apollon village, lies an unfinished Kouros (statue of a man) on the ground, from which he was never erected. The statue is 10,45 meters high and is believed to have been sculptured at the beginning of the 6th century BC.
The church of Madonna Protothroni (9th – 10th century), at the Chalki village of Tragea, is the biggest Byzantine church of Naxos. The church is of great interest due to the alternant layers of its frescoes. It is still in service, from the early Christian years to date.